The fourth annual festival returns October 13-16, 2022
Refract: The Seattle Glass Experience is our region’s annual celebration of glass art, shining a spotlight on the creative artists and organizations that make the Pacific Northwest the epicenter of glass art in the United States. Join us Thursday-Sunday, October 13-16, for art parties, live demonstrations, open studio tours, museum and gallery exhibitions, an art auction, and more!
More than 100 glass art studios call the Pacific Northwest home, from emerging artists to master glassmakers. Refract is your chance to learn about this fascinating art in all its forms including neon, blown glass, cast glass, fused glass, glass mosaic, and lampworking.
Here are ten highlights–of many–of the upcoming festival:
- A rare and exclusive after hours visit to Chihuly Garden and Glass for the opening night party, GATHER
- Access to eighteen usually private open artist studios, including living legends of glass art and emerging newcomers
- Open house party and demo at The Glass Eye studio
- An outstanding line up of daily live demos at Seattle Glassblowing Studio, including four Season 3 contestants from the Netflix show Blown Away
- A toast to the Maestro at Lino Tagliapietra’s showroom
- The incredible Pilchuck Glass School auction
- Exhibition closing party at METHOD Gallery featuring an eye-popping exhibit by Pilchuck’s Artistic Director Benjamin Wright
- Behind the scenes tours of the Port of Seattle’s remarkable glass art collection at SEA Airport and the Port HQ on the Seattle waterfront
- A day of art on Bainbridge Island, with visits to BARN, the Ginny Ruffner exhibit at the Bainbridge Island Museum of Art, and an exhibition at Bainbridge Arts & Crafts Gallery
- Historic downtown Everett’s Schack Art Center, an Anna Skibska exhibition tour with the artist, followed by a hot shop demo by artist Julie Conway
- (Bonus!) Many events are FREE
Chihuly Garden and Glass Courtesy Chihuly Garden and Glass, © Chihuly Studio
And that is is just the beginning. Visit the website to find the full schedule and plan your activities. Consider making a weekend of it with a special Refract package from our hotel partners.
For more inspiration, take a peek at our Glass Art Guide to the Puget Sound region, and the State of Glass series on VISITSEATTLE.tv.
Follow along on Facebook and Instagram and share your Refract adventures with #refractseattle.
Please note: masks may be required in some indoor spaces, and individual event producers may have capacity limits and additional safety precautions in place.